Thursday, September 21, 2006

click06 conference blog

OPAC Seminar:
The ACOC Seminar Monday 18th Sept.- Beyond the OPAC- was verry interesting. I came away buoyed by the program and as a cataloguer, more enthusiastic (is that possible?) about making access to catalogue data easier. I think, but most libraries are struggling to achieve the "now" let alone plan the future of OPACs . Presentations on the new bib. standards (FRBR and RDA) were the main threads that interested me, but Patricia Scott and Helen Attar showed us how useful linking beteen analyticals and the parent documents on an OPAC could be set up- a great enhancement. I can't wait to see how Lloyd Sokvitne's new OPAC turns out. NLA's seeding search engines (Google & Yahoo) sounds great. I wasn't aware that this had to be done for bib recs. to be pulled up on a Google as I've found some of SLWA's on my searches. -- I'm looking over past documents of Martha's on FRBRization and feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of change we are looking at and the amazing ways the OPACs in future can be really workable and productive. I'd like to hear what others thought about it.

John Draffin SLWA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home